Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Feeling Safe

Ushuaia is a city in which I have always felt safe and never worried about possessions being stolen, unlike some of the larger South American cities. I had a run in with a bag cutter/purse stealer in Cusco, but retained the purse and lost my camera to a snatcher in Quito, but Ushuaia has never imparted that feeling of unease or concern that others cities do.
People leave their cars open with engines running while they warm up, leave them fully packed and open in the street, I have seen bags, mobile phones and cameras left on tables. The material bag I use here I wouldn't dream of using in a larger city, I would loose the lot in moments. Although there is crime here it certainly isn't as prevalent as in many other cities.
I walk everywhere and have never felt uncomfortable about where I was or what time of the day or night it was. I am not saying that I am not aware and usually pretty careful but I feel safe.
I hope it always stays this way.

The interesting thing about walking is that I have noticed that very few, if any people make eye contact. I am certainly used to eye contact and usually a smile when walking, but very few here look at passers by. I wonder why?

No comments: