Thursday, July 19, 2007

Romántico........verdaderamente....no!


Ushuaia Winter 2007
Originally uploaded by agypsy.
Or maybe I am just getting old....... it's true. I had wanted to do the dog sled bit and finally organised myself to go. Beautiful spot and one of those magic monochromatic days that became even more enchanting when the snow started to fall later in the day.
The ride in the sled...... well, sounds wonderful.....but: great for we tourists I guess. We all took one look at the dogs and commented on how skinny they were, and totally disinterested! I guess we expected the big fluffy Huskies and most of these are cross bred of all varieties - more like wolves actually, but they don't have them here. The disinterest lasted for most of the trip, until we hit the home stretch when finally the speed increased. The route we followed is actually the dog's toilet, and the first thing I did when I got home was hit the shower - all I could smell was........
Logically they don't like to leave their mess around their kennels, so the route is littered with messages, and of course they all continually stop to sniff and produce more. I was very glad that the outward journey was pretty slow as it didn't throw up any..thing.
The views were spectacular and I met some interesting travel companions, I did enjoy the day.
Lunch was, naturally, the Cordero, or lamb done over the fire, which my companions thoroughly enjoyed. Me I had the salad. Maybe I have to rethink this vegetarian bit! Just joking, but everyone really enjoyed the lamb and they kept bringing out more. This is of course how they make their money and Tierra Del Fuego is famous for it's Cordero.

I had played with the idea of a night ride en el trineo con los perros, but I think I have got over that one.
But it does sound romantic.

No comments: