Monday, June 04, 2012

 Coyoacán  and the Frida Kahlo Museum

On Saturday I again caught the Metro to Coyocán, a suburb 10 kms. south of the city and the suburb in which Frida Kahlo was born and lived a great deal of her life.
Coyoacán or Place of Coyotes, is a distinctly different suburb and is the home to many artists, writers etc. With my trusty Lonely Planet guide in hand I followed the "Frida's Neighbourhood" walking tour, which meanders for 3.7 kms through the area and visiting the Casa Azul,   Frida's Blue House, now a museum.

It is a beautiful, tranquil setting and contains many of her things and that of Diego Rivera also, as they lived here together at some times. Many things that had been walled up in 2 rooms at the house for 50 years are now on display. Naturally enough when I got back to the apartment I had to find a copy of the movie Frida and watched it yesterday afternoon.

No comments: