Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Not an Apartment Dweller

I never want to live in middle or lower apartment or flat. Now being here on the 1st floor with an apartment directly overhead, I remember just how bad it was in Ushuaia, with heavy feet and a child running overhead in the middle of the night.

Here it is not a child, and just one person (I think) sex undetermined ( but I think female) as I have rarely laid eyes on any other dwellers of this particular section, but I hear every move.


Whoever it is wears shoes most of the time and has a very heavy, determined tread through the apartment and the wooden floors creak and squeak appallingly, so it's possible to track progress throughout the not very large flat. You hear everything that hits the floor, the washing machine, the shower and the fan in the bathroom - and the occupant gets up at 6.30 every morning, then runs the shower and fan . But I think what disturbs me most is the tv in the bedroom that goes all night - not loud, but enough for me to hear a muffled version every time I wake.

The only way I could live in the lower floors of an apartment block, would be in a very expensive one I think, that had  decent soundproofing, and I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. I wonder if you can test drive for a few weeks?

No comments: