Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Edinburgh Castle



 On my first day I went into the centre to buy my bus pass, and as it was such a lovely day - well it's all relative, the rain had stopped, there was no wind and there were moments when the sun peeped out, I decided to follow the upward winding road towards the Castle on the hill. The hills sure are steep around that part of town!.

But finally I made it to the castle. The good thing about traveling out of season, is that there are hardly any other people - no long queues of other tourists, and as I had bought an Historic Scotland Pass, I didn't have to wait at all. Again it was all uphill from there, following the winding path and listening to the audio as I went. As you can see the views were pretty spectacular, with clear views over the old town,the new town and out over the Firth of Forth.
 I will go back for another visit, this time I will make sure I am in the front when the 1 o'clock cannon is fired - somehow people came from everywhere and I couldn't see much at all, and I would like to do the guided tour also, but it was a good start.

No comments: