Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mexico City                                                                                                              Sunday am


Well, finally made it after an eventful few days, and a 30+ hour door to door trip.
First there was the mix up with the United bookings. When Continental and United merged, there was a problem with the migration of information in the system. or at least that's their excuse and they are sticking to it. But the upshot was, and still is, my booking is segmented and appears in several places on their system even though we have had many conversations on the matter. After attempting unsuccessfully to check in online on Friday I spent the next few hours on the phone between various agencies attempting to consolidate things and assure myself a seat on what turned out to be a very full plane. But I finally arrived here; the next bit will be assuring a seat out of here.
Flying United, wasn't my first choice and it may be the last time I do. I couldn't believe it when I saw there were no personal entertainment screens. It would be the first International flight for many years with those horrible overhead screens. Thank goodness for my computer and some movies on memory stick!
Then came the horrific trip through Los Angeles - I keep saying never again, well never again. There must have been at least 500 people in the snaking queue at immigration. The ladies are very good at winding the queue back and forward to fit in more people and with very few officers manning the booths it took 1 1/2 hours just to clear Immigration. And for the final straw, I dropped off my luggage at the United transfer desk expecting to collect it in Mexico City as you do! Tired and ready to drop I waited and waited and waited at the baggage carousel until the handlers assured me "no hay mas" no more luggage. Oh joy!!!! What followed was an hour or so of filling in forms and going from counter to counter to claim compensation for the luggage delay - they assured me the case was on the next flight from L.A. and gave me $100US compensation. So there was a silver lining.
But I am still waiting for the case to arrive here at The Red Tree house, the B&B I am staying in until I move to the apartment on Tuesday. The manager has called the airline and they say it will arrive today. Fingers crossed!

No comments: