Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Walking but  Definitely no Gawking:

Or eating, or map reading or talking. Walking the streets takes all my concentration, there are all sorts of obstacles out to trap the unwary. Raised sections for driveways, bollards and poles, tree roots that have dug up the footpath, steps, food stalls and of course heaps of people, all of which make navigation a challenge. I think I am challenged more than most at present as I still haven't quite got my bearings. The area was once a hipódromo, or racetrack, so the streets around the Parque México form a big ellipse, and although I am sure I am heading in one direction I end up miles away from my destination. Usually I am pretty good with my directions. But I spend a lot of time with map in hand.
 Walking the dogs this afternoon, I came across some guys laying cable. They had the tops off several manholes, but absolutely no warning or barriers. It would have been so easy just to step into the holes. They were working in one, but the others a few metres away was completely unattended.
 Nobody else seems to have problems with the uneven surface, the girls hurry along in those ridiculously high platforms and stilettos, chatting to each other or on the phone with gay abandon. I guess they are all used to it.


One good thing, is that the majority clean up after their dogs so that is one less hazard, and the streets are generally pretty clean

No comments: