Saturday, May 26, 2012

 Local Tianguis or Street Market:

Yesterday I  headed off with the shopping trolley for which I definitely need  L plates, I am a hopeless driver of same, but everyone has one, so go with the flow. And headed to the local street market or Tianguis to do my shopping. I much prefer this to the supermarket and everything is so fresh and beautiful.
My main search is for the fruit and veg, but it is fascinating to walk up and down the aisles and check out the produce. There is a fair bit that I have no idea what it is and the names don't help much, but in the fruit and veg department I am willing to give most things a go, although I juice just about everything so it all tastes the same
As it's summer here all the beautiful summer fruits are arriving on the stands and they are wonderful.
 Even though I don't eat it the fish was almost alive it looked so fresh.
 There are so many nuts and dried and candied fruits as well as fresh herbs and spices.
I stopped and watched the process and a friendly young local talked me into trying these tortillas made from blue corn. He assured me he was also vegetarian and suggestions options to choose, and yes they were delicious. Everyone was lined up around these stands buying their lunch and the cooks just never stopped.



You can find lots more market photos on
  www.flickr.com/photos/barbhagger

No comments: